WOMEN’S HEALTH WEDNESDAY
There are two short-hand systems of documenting obstetrical history: GPA and TPAL
In GPA, the abbreviations stand for:
- Gravida = The number of times the patient has been pregnant, regardless of outcome, including the current pregnancy.
- Para = The number of births after 20 weeks. Twins/triplets only count as one. This includes stillbirths.
- Abortus = The number of induced abortions, miscarriages or ectopic pregnancies.
So, a pregnant patient who has had one live birth and one miscarriage would be G3 P1 A1
TPAL is more specific. In this system, the Gravida is still listed first, and under Para there are four numbers, each standing for the following:
- Term = The number of pregnancies delivered after 37 weeks
- Pre-term = The number of pregnancies delivered between 20 - 37 weeks
- Live = The number of children currently alive
So, a pregnant patient who has had one child at full term, twins at 35 weeks, one miscarriage and one abortion would be G5 P1123